Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Net 0bject Fusion is dead? No development acknowledged?

I'd be happy with NOF v11 for a Mac!!

Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

On it's way dude. http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...A-*nix-version

Of course, only Steve can say how long that way is

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post

I wonder what "in our long term plans" converts to in real time? 12 months...18 months...more?
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    I wonder what "in our long term plans" converts to in real time? 12 months...18 months...more?
    Knowing my luck it will be a week after I replace my current NOF machine.
    Only the Blue Roads

In the IT world 'long term' is not much more than 12 months. Any longer and they risk someone developing competitive functionality in a linux or Mac app - and then they'd lose even more market share. A Mac/*nix version would rapidly gain market share and might even give them the critical mass they need to be ongoingly viable.

I've lived with NoF for so long now, lived with the likelihood of its demise several times (when the original NetObjects sold it, IBM/Lotus dumped it, all the time WSP had it) and its still here because there's still nothing to compete with it. But a number of other apps are where NoF was around v7 and are catching up fast. NoF has to keep its lead and I'd suggest the *nix platform is the best way of staying ahead of the pack.

Incidentally, when I was at 3Com I predicted that within 10 years we'd be using a handheld device (similar to the Palm III we had then) to access the internet (which would be wireless and ubiqitous), play music, play videos, take photos, take videos and use as a phone. I was told it would never happen, that even though the technology could be developed the human behavioural paradigm would take decades to change. Seen their share price lately?????

....when I was at 3Com I predicted that within 10 years we'd be using a handheld device (similar to the Palm III we had then) to access the internet (which would be wireless and ubiqitous), play music, play videos, take photos, take videos and use as a phone. I was told it would never happen, that even though the technology could be developed the human behavioural paradigm would take decades to change. Seen their share price lately?????
    Any chance you could predict the Mac version release date for use Franko

Any chance you could predict the Mac version release date for use Franko
    Without having any access to confidential information at all, I'd guess closer to 12 months than 18. LIke I said, otherwise they'll miss the boat

The rise of the iPhone notwithstanding, the Mac is still a big part of Apple, which dropped "Computer" from its name in 2007. Macs sell for an average price of $1,300 with 30 percent gross margins, Munster said. By comparison, consumer-grade Windows machines sell for half that, about $687, according to research firm IDC.

That's why Apple's relatively small slice of the U.S. market - only 6.4 percent in the first quarter of 2010, up from 4 percent in 2005 - doesn't matter much. For every half-point in market share Apple takes from Hewlett-Packard, Dell and all the other Windows vendors, it boosts its sales by about $3 billion, Munster says.

The better indicator is sales, which have grown substantially. In fiscal 2004, Apple sold 3.29 million Macs for the whole year. It sold slightly more than that - 3.36 million - in the first quarter of fiscal 2010 alone.

Charles Wolf, an analyst with Needham & Co. in New York, estimates that Apple will sell nearly 13 million Macs this year.

"It's a real testimony to the power of the Mac brand that Apple sells these machines for nearly twice what the Windows competitors charge, and yet the sales keep growing faster than the rest of the industry," Wolf said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0s1z3IdcR

And they can add at least one more the day after NOF is released in a Mac version!

It's been three months since I first made a comment on this thread. In that time, has anyone heard anything substantial about a V12? Franko, the link you posted about the *nix-version" really didn't reveal anything, in my humble opinion. Three months is not trivial, given that V11 has already been out for two years.

In the past month, I've been researching what competitors are on the market, and there are quite a few. I've not tried them yet, but a few of the ones that seem to be getting good reviews and seem to have decent functionality and are not terribly expensive (as stated in the reviews or their respective web sites) are Coffee Cup HTML Editor and Visual Site Designer, Web Easy Professional 8, Xara Web Designer and WebPlus X4. Just curious, has anyone tried these products?

These websites have a nice listing of products and reviews: http://website-creation-software-rev...enreviews.com/ and
    http://html-editor-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ and
    http://web-design-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I know, the list from those websites cannot be taken as definitive, but they certainly will be factored in to my thinking. Of course, there is always Expression Web. Dreamweaver is just too expensive.
    Last edited by skykeys; 09-23-2010 at 05:29 AM.