Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Net 0bject Fusion is dead? No development acknowledged?

Default Net 0bject Fusion is dead? No development acknowledged?

This thread http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...2464#post42464

my last post,

well, when you are running a small business, and you are the boss, well, sometimes you go looking for trouble, and sometimes trouble goes looking for you.....
    :lol:

Having a shared development platform would be cool, but all I'm doing is sharing the NOD on a drive. Takes care of collisions on development when u use sneakernet that way.

And since I have probably more years of software development and design management than most users, your statement

No one is going to say what is in the pipe for any software company. It just doesn't happen that way.
    is flat out wrong.

Your two available options are:

1. No - NOF is EOL(end of life), and we are not presently working on upgrades, patches, new versions or enhancements.

As you may be well aware, the cost of $50 or even $200 is infinitesimal to the opportunity cost of hours, weeks, and months of staff training on a package. Not to mention the years of work that go into maintaining a website, if you are doing it on your own. Browsers change, Apache changes, php changes, google has new requirements for css and js serving, and being stuck on a platform that has zero chance of addressing these pressing issues, risks $$$$ that far exceed the cost of the software.

2. Yes - NOF has a development team, and we are working on a release at some future time. It could come next week, next month, next year, two years from now, depends on how hard we work, but we are at least coding shit. Hey, things are going so badly, we might throw all the code out and start over from scratch, but yes we are coding.

I really don't care about a when, because it is what it is, and you are correct about "freezing" purchases. But you're sadly mistaken to think users shouldn't care if their software platform is EOL or not. Because they do.

I might feel comfortable in letting my staff continue on NOF knowing that at least we might be able to import in our old sites if a new version of NOF or a new app comes out from a "related" team. Otherwise, it might be time to migrate to a new platform, as painful and EXPENSIVE as that might be.

Weirdly enough, NOF could enjoy a renaissance due to Google's new-found religion of site speed. NOF's creation of static HTML is not a bad thing, especially if you change your main page text often.

I've spent the last week in the underbelly of google's site ranking algorithms, and I can guarantee you that google is not sitting still and are pushing for tighter and tighter code and they are enforcing that by rewarding sites with higher rankings that comply.

So I'm currently running NOF 10, purchased way back in 07 and ignored the 11 launch due to the company confusion, which is water under the bridge. And we've limped along. With three websites that enjoy page ranks of 6 and top 3 placements in our key words. The sites are ugly, but they work.
    and the lack of a reply by Net Objects Fusion, implies to me that someone has the source code, is receiving a declining revenue stream, and has stopped all development to just milk out the last remaining value of what was once a good product.

I think whoever is receiving the money owes the users of NOF the courtesy of a reply.

There is nothing embarrassing about acknowledging a software product has reached it's end of life.

All things die.

Revenue will continue to trickle in, because NOF still meets the needs of a target user group.

But car salesman, weasel answer, which I have seen this user post in other threads, is bullshit, and I'm calling you out on it. The answer given, from another thread too,

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Most companies learned from the Osborne fiasco back in the mid 80's and would never announce anything that is happening unless it were already at the release stage. Back in the mid 80's Osborne computers had a very slick "lugable" They announced that they were working on an updated version of this successful product. Well all of a sudden their sales stopped dead as everyone who had interest in their product put off purchasing to see what was coming. This combined with a few other faux pas put them into bankruptcy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_1#After_Chapter_11
    is exactly the reply one would give if my thread title and revenue annuity hypothesis is true.

Dude it's Saturday

AND

This is a user to user forum

NetO is just as dead as Microsoft is.

Microsoft didn't answer me when I asked in their form when they were going to fix the bugs in the latest release of windows so using your "test" they must be going out of business.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

my bad, your replies to the majority of posts implied to me that you are the voice of fusion.

If that is incorrect, and fusion doesn't have staff answering support type questions on their own hosted forum, then something is messed up.

I guess I'll have to go search for a staff member who posts.

My apologies.

Nope....

I'm just a dude like you.......

Except I have been using this product since 1996

This forum has only been online for about a month now (maybe this might be taken as a sign of life by you).
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

I found 5 mods and 1 admin, many who's posts were weeks ago.

Claudia - MIA
    Adam - MIA
    MIKE - 5 days ago, mostly old posts
    John Walker 4 days ago
    Janos 2 weeks ago

Hum... Wonder which forums you're looking at. I just click on new posts every time I'm on the page and I'll see 1 to 2 or more pages of new posts...

Just saw a post from Adam a little while ago.

This is indeed a mostly user-to-user forum.

With all of the answers from longtime regulars and everyone else, the Neto staff as few opportunities to answer questions. (-;

My copy of Fusion 11 doesn't come with an expiration date, so I'm sure it'll still be functioning quite well while we wait for Fusion 12..
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

This is a user to user forum where users of the product help other users of the product.

It was opened to the public by NetObjects about a month ago to supplement the existing nntp news server user to user newsgroups.

Official support for the Fusion product is handled from this URL: http://support.netobjects.com/

There are a number of people from NetObjects who pop into this user to user forum to answer questions and make announcements. These people range from the CEO of the company through upper and mid level management right down to the product support people.

see my reply in your other thread on this subject

I had posted this question in the questions and problems section, but probably this section is more appropriate. I've copied in the one reply I received, and my reply to that. My basic question is: Has there been any information regarding a V12?

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    The only ones who can give you any info (forward looking comments) are the owners of the company. Everyone else is under NDA (non disclosure agreements).

I doubt that NetObjects would intently destroy sales of the current product by announcing anything in regards to a future release. Like who in their right mind would by a product when they know something else is on the way and they would have to buy again?
    Thanks for your reply. Actually, I do understand about not wanting to kill sales of the current version. I've been on the sales side of the software business before. I used to work for IBM, and we used to re-sell NOF back in the early days of IBM's web software initiative.

So my question is really just asking - has anything been announced? I guess the answer to that is: no. I ask because I am a new member of the forum and have not kept up with news (or lack thereof) of NOF over the past couple of years. Of course I have searched the web for news on the product. There is not much happening.

This leads me to believe that sales of NOF are not that great at this point. I hope I'm mistaken, but I just don't see any buzz over the product. There wasn't much two years ago when V 11 came out, and the reviews of the product at that time were mixed at best. There is certainly much less buzz now.

So in that context, if nothing has been announced even after two full years, then I wonder what the future of the product/company is? Usually there is an announcement, then a public beta period. It can take anywhere from 1 to 3 months after the release of a beta before the "gold code" version is released to production; i.e., for sale. So if nothing has been announced yet, then it's unlikely that a new version will be coming out until the fall at the earliest. Given that the company only has the one product, is the company generating enough revenue to stay in business? It's a reasonable question.