Thread: How to have Multiple Remote Administrators for single site

Question How to have Multiple Remote Administrators for single site

I am creating a web site for our local scout group, and have been using Netobjects Fusion Essentials, and the site is hosted with 1and1.co.uk. and published using ftp. Was used to using frontpage and changing things page by page once published. We want to be able to let the individual section leaders (4-10 people) update their pages in the site, ie. to have multiple administrators in different locations with their own computers which is where I am getting stuck.
    Once they have Netobjects on their own computers, what is the easiest way for them to just get their current page(s) into Netobjects to update and republish. Do they need to import the whole site each time, since others may have updated it since they last published it? Can we use something like the 'dropbox' system to keep pages updated in their local drive space and they just import and publish the ones they want to change? I've looked through all the menus/help and cannot see how others can easily update their own parts remotely, not understanding how the pages can be pulled into Netobjects and published without being included in the .nod database wrapper as it is on my computer.
    Any ideas would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 29thcroydon View Post
    We want to be able to let the individual section leaders (4-10 people) update their pages in the site, ie. to have multiple administrators in different locations with their own computers which is where I am getting stuck.

Once they have Netobjects on their own computers, what is the easiest way for them to just get their current page(s) into Netobjects to update and republish. Do they need to import the whole site each time, since others may have updated it since they last published it? Can we use something like the 'dropbox' system to keep pages updated in their local drive space and they just import and publish the ones they want to change? I've looked through all the menus/help and cannot see how others can easily update their own parts remotely, not understanding how the pages can be pulled into Netobjects and published without being included in the .nod database wrapper as it is on my computer.
    when the gotFusion web site was first created there were a number of contributers. What we did was to assign a section to each person and they were in charge/control over everything in their section. There was a "master template" that each contributor worked with so all sections would look the same. Then a single opening page was created and the menu buttons pointed to folders that held the contributers content. They uploaded their content to the assigned folders. Their home navigation and menu buttons pointed to the other contributers sections and were external absolute URLs that pointed back to the respective home page on the assigned folder.

Assigning separate sections to different people and keeping them away from all other sections is about the only way that several people can work within Fusion. You basically have multiple separate web sites created with Fusion that are interconnected using absolute URLs to the other separate sections.

I thought I had written a tutorial on how this was done but I guess it was part of the old gotFusion web site and did not get moved into the new site.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thank you for that, gotfusion, I didn't think it was straightforward. I have since managed to find another thread about 3 people trying to use together and they were advised to use templates too, or a content management system? Will try and have a play around with the templates idea.

29thcroydon

Hi 29thCroydon,

I'd be inclined to look at using an online CMS system like CushyCMS or SurrealCMS. Both offer free versions and you can assign editors to pages or sections of pages very easily. And the editors simply use their browser to update the content - so no need for any NO software.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 29thcroydon View Post
    I am creating a web site for our local scout group, and have been using Netobjects Fusion Essentials, and the site is hosted with 1and1.co.uk. and published using ftp. Was used to using frontpage and changing things page by page once published. We want to be able to let the individual section leaders (4-10 people) update their pages in the site, ie. to have multiple administrators in different locations with their own computers which is where I am getting stuck.
    Why not allow each user to name their web pages, and there own navigation, and have them ftp it into the main folders (or individually named folders) the main web site could call up the individuals web into an I frame, I use a similar concept with the with different photo albums (ive also done it with external web pages) in an MLR page, each TAB names the type of album (in this case your section leaders),
    Its easy to set up this way the individual sites can be updated without affecting the main site or any of the section leader sites.

Mike C

Default Now that you brought that up

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    Hi 29thCroydon,

I'd be inclined to look at using an online CMS system like CushyCMS or SurrealCMS. Both offer free versions and you can assign editors to pages or sections of pages very easily. And the editors simply use their browser to update the content - so no need for any NO software.
    I have been wondering about this for quite sometime. When a web site is built how do you integrate a CMS system into fusion? either the two you mentioned or something else. There are times when it would be great for a person to be able to update a page or two on their own and they do not have fusion. So what is the process to accomplishing this feat? I can go check out the two you mentioned but it may be good to explain a little of the steps involved.
    I am brand new here, only made one other post so far.
    Larry

Larry,

Best if we don't hijack this thread.

Do a search in this forum first of all as there are several fairly recent threads on this matter. You find there are several options including a couple of solutions written by members (LBA and Paby) and you should find most of what you need already posted. I think you'll find your answers from within this forum without starting a new thread
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!