Thread: customo navigational bar

Default customo navigational bar

Hello I am brand new here to this form and have not read to much yet, so I do not know what all has been suggested. I have been using fusion for quite some time now, with a love-hate relationship with it.
    Somethings I absolutely love, and somethings seem like it is impossible to do. And most of all I am getting very disgusted with tech support, but that is another story all together.

Since I am having this problem lately on what I want to do I figured I would make this easy suggestion.
    I have made this custom navigational bar and I want to link up a button to an external web page on another site. But it is not letting me do it. I can go and move my page from left to right and then click on external link and drop in the page I want to go to. hit save then move that from left to right under my one button but when I go to view it, it drops down my list that the button is under and when I click on that button it flyouts the external link button, so then I have to click on that as well. I do not want that at all. I want the main button to be the link for the page not create another button underneath it.

I write all of that because maybe others can relate to my problem, here is my suggestion to fix that.
    In site view click on the page you want to have an external link go to and some where on site view you would have a link button, click on that and it will bring up a box to add your external link, click OK and you are done. Simple as that. With things I am trying to work on lately there are many times I do not need all the pages to go to internal links I need certain pages to go to external links, using that button/page only not creating a second button underneath. This is driving me crazy and my suggestion should be an easy fix on that.

If there is a way to do what I want done, somebody please let me know. I know it says to create a new site style navigation just like you do the original in site view but I am assuming they are referring to doing that somewhere in the custom edit box that comes up when you click on that button. If it is done some where else and I am missing the boat on that one please let me know that as well. Thanks
    Larry

I'm struggling slightly to understand exactly what you are doing, but you can easily create a Custom menu with external links without dropdown.

Simply add the menu structure on the right as you want with internal or external links and then choose Display All Pages under structure in the Navigation Bar Properties.

Note: You can drag and drop the links and move them around on the right hand side when creating them to send them up a level and create their own button in the main level.

With things I am trying to work on lately there are many times I do not need all the pages to go to internal links I need certain pages to go to external links, using that button/page only not creating a second button underneath. This is driving me crazy and my suggestion should be an easy fix on that.
    Hello Harry5000,

I read your two threads on this topic. I can't follow your problem. Though it may be easy and useful for some projects to be able to allocate external links to the nav bar directly on the worksheet, this is not necessary if you learn how to use the nav bar correctly.

The custom menu is a good tool that will cover nearly every possible requirement.

Now just imagine what would happen to the nav bars of unexperienced users if they could very easily chose external links for navigation buttons. Their homepages would possibly turn into an unstructured conglomerate of internal and external links opening in the same window or in new tabs, thus disrupting the whole logical structure of the project. I don't think it makes much sense to use thre nav bar for external lins, except in those occasons in which people have their own blogs, online-shops, forums or directories. They won't have any problem using the custom menu. Please consider this when organising your project.

On the contrary, I often find nav buttons linking to external sites quite useful. For example, I do a lot of accommodation sites which use external online booking services. Having the Book Now! button linking directly to the booking service site (although I always open it in a new window) is more elegant than, for example, trying to open a very large external page in a small iframe. I can't understand the problem Larry is having either though. Larry - perhaps if you post a URL or some screen grabs illustrating the problem you're having we might be able to sort it out a little easier.

Hi franko

On the contrary, I often find nav buttons linking to external sites quite useful.
    I can't see any contradiction in our statements... Online booking services is a special website related usage, which can be implemented with a customised nav bar.

But not necessarily as an inherent part of the main website navigation, depends on how it's structured.

Larry didn't yet fully grasp the working of the custom nav bar, that's my feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry5000 View Post
    ....I can go and move my page from left to right and then click on external link and drop in the page I want to go to. hit save then move that from left to right under my one button but when I go to view it, it drops down my list that the button is under and when I click on that button it flyouts the external link button, so then I have to click on that as well. I do not want that at all. I want the main button to be the link for the page not create another button underneath it...
    Larry,

Welcome to the unofficial NOF Tech Support. ! Don't be disgusted - they are getting better since the new management took over. Room for improvement though.

OK, your description is pretty hard to understand so a URL would be useful so we can see what you are trying to do (a picture paints a thousand words). But, from what you say I think your issue is to do with the LEVEL that the page appears on and therefore where your button appears on the navigation.

In SITE view your home page is at the top of the tree = Level 1. The next row will be level 2 and the row under that will be level 3. So when you create a nav bar anything on level 3 will be a drop down or fly out from a level 2 button. With me so far?

Generally your level 1 and level 2 buttons will be the main set of buttons seen on a page. If you want to add an external link button so it appears as a main button you need to use the Custom Nav Bar options and ensure that the new and manually added external link button is added at level 2.

But I could be totally misunderstanding your problem! Post a URL if I am barking up the wrong tree.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Ok guys thanks for all your help got it straighten out now, although a bit odd to do it the way I got it. I think tho that the other post on the other thread might make it easier....I need to post another question but I will do it over there, thanks.

I still recommend to my friends to download and install this FM WhatsApp for the better and amazing experience with original WhatsApp.