Thread: Need to download my site from the web

Default Need to download my site from the web

My hard drive died a couple of months ago but up and running now with new hard drive and Fusion 11 reloaded. I need to make changes to my web site and wonder how do I down load my site back into Fusion 11 or is this not possible? Thanks, Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by tickover View Post
    My hard drive died a couple of months ago but up and running now with new hard drive and Fusion 11 reloaded. I need to make changes to my web site and wonder how do I down load my site back into Fusion 11 or is this not possible? Thanks, Ben.
    Fusion does not recreate its database from HTML very well. You can spend twice or three times the time and effort creating from HTML as you would if you just started all over. This old topic will explain in more details.

http://forums.netobjects.com/showthr...ll=1#post41423

Exporting to template is the only safe way to make backups

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=16
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Thanks, I was afraid this was the case so I will start from scratch again or close to it. On the positive side I can make my site that much better the second time...

You can use a program called HTTrack (www.httrack.com) to grab your site off the web.

Or use an FTP program to download everything back to your computer.

By placing your image assets in the assets folder for the new site in User Sites, it'll give you a nice head start.
    Chuck Joslin
    www.BeyondFusion.com
    PHP & MySQL development with Fusion
    Fusion support for AllWebMenus (Likno) Contact me for custom AWM menus for your sites.
    Tutorials and Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chuckj View Post
    Or use an FTP program to download everything back to your computer.
    I've had luck doing this in the past.
    Access to the host server made it quite easy, albeit a bit boring and time consuming.
    Only the Blue Roads

As well as regular backups (using export as template) and dating the file each time e.g.: websitenameddmmyy.zip I now also upload the template to a folder on the server. So I have the original site files in the .nod, nof generated backups .bak, templates .zip on my hard drive and on my external backup drive plus the templated .zip file held remotely on the server. In theory if everything dies locally I will also have a copy on the server. All I have to do is remember to do that template after each publish.

Now wouldn't this be a good idea? At each publish have NOF give us the option of generating a template and auto FTP to a folder of our choice. Works for me!
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Now wouldn't this be a good idea? At each publish have NOF give us the option of generating a template and auto FTP to a folder of our choice. Works for me!
    Somebody thought of this already ages ago....
    It´s in your NOF.
    And it´s called (translated from german) Versions Manager.
    You create a Repository Path and load your site onto the server.
    It never really worked and I don´t know anybody who used this.........
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Mia,

Oh yes. I used to use it when I had some client sites using nPower. I thought it was somehow connected to that. Having abandoned nPower as a very bad job I never gave the Versions Manage a second thought. Will take another look now!
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Paul,

Will take another look now!
    I don´t know if you´re not waisting your time.
    There must be a reason why this Versions Manager never became very popular among NOF users.

Why don´t you stick to your normal procedure, as you described before.
    I do it the same way. Export the site as a template and upload the .zip to a special folder on the server.

You can never recommend that often enough.
    It´s still amazing how many users never bother about a proper backup of their projects.
    Last edited by mia; 06-10-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    http://www.nof-community.de
    NOF-Community, Hilfe, Support, Tutorials, Anleitungen, Tipps und Tricks für Netobjects Fusion und SwissKnife Komponenten

Mia,

Well I didn't spend long on this. After setting up and testing an FTP publish profile in a NOF site I got "Unable to connect to Publish Manager". I tried several variations on folder names and crreated the same on the server beforehand but couldn't get it to work - so after 10 minutes I gave up. Quite happy with my method....but it would be nice if NOF gave me an option at publish to create a template.zip file so I could manually upload.

I don't use NOF in-built FTP (I wish it wasn't there or could be uninstalled or not installed!) but prefer to use CuteFTP Pro as I have more control and it's 10x faster with a load more options.