Thread: NOF 11 maximum number of web pages?

Default NOF 11 maximum number of web pages?

I manage 2 seperate websites due to earlier concerns about size constraints with NOF, 1 being 400 pages and the other around 350 and want to merge these into one .nod file to manage. This website will also be getting larger as time goes by. Are there any issues with NOF 11 managing 1000 page websites (mainly text and pictures)? 2000 page websites? Thank you.

ps. - added Google Analytics this week and find it fascinating and very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by markfmch View Post
    I manage 2 seperate websites due to earlier concerns about size constraints with NOF, 1 being 400 pages and the other around 350 and want to merge these into one .nod file to manage. This website will also be getting larger as time goes by. Are there any issues with NOF 11 managing 1000 page websites (mainly text and pictures)? 2000 page websites? Thank you.

ps. - added Google Analytics this week and find it fascinating and very informative.
    I used Fusion with a site that had around 900 static pages. It was..... well.... funky.... Once you get over 4-500 pages things can get slow, especially of you use any of the Fusion components.

I changed the site to pull info from a database and now the entire site consists of 7 display pages to show 900 items and the max size capability is unlimited (well limited to MS SQL Server which is several terabytes).

If you have more than 50 static pages, moving all content into a database and displaying most of it within a single display page is the way to go.

GotFusion has around 400 NetObjects tutorials online and all of them (except for the very old version 4, 5, MX, and 7 tutorials) display within a single page.

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=2

AND

http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4029

are the exact same page (tut.cfm). The only difference is the first link shows database record #2 and the second link shows database record # 4029 The two tutorials were written 9 years apart.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

I'm not sure i understand everything you're trying to say or that I can set things up as you suggest. I've read conflicting answers to this question. I can't believe NOF wouldn't develop in their updated releases the capability for large websites. I should be able to get a definitive answer from someone.

Quote Originally Posted by markfmch View Post
    I'm not sure i understand everything you're trying to say or that I can set things up as you suggest. I've read conflicting answers to this question. I can't believe NOF wouldn't develop in their updated releases the capability for large websites. I should be able to get a definitive answer from someone.
    There is no cut and dried yes/no answer. Too much depends on what is being used and how it being used.

A very simple web site project (one where all of the pages have content contained within a single text box) that uses 3rd party navigation (not the Fusion navigation component) and no other components might be capable of handling 5,000 pages. The more complex you make a web site project the more internal data Fusion needs to store and compile when it generates the html code.

Fusion is a database program not a code editor. Everything you put on a page is stored in a database as x/y coordinances along with the actual data that is to be displayed. Graphics are stored as file/folder references and their position on a page is stored as x/y coordinances. The more complex the layout the more data is needed in order to write the HTML code to end up with a web pages that looks like the GUI layout. Multiply that by hundreds and thousands of times (pages) and you can see how it can spiral out of control very easily. Fusion is a very good database program but like all database programs it will reach a point where the performance will start to degrade.

The point I was trying to make in regards to database driven sites is that they are far superior for presenting large quantities of data (many web pages). It is harder to set up a database driven web site but it is a snap to maintain one.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Frankly I think you're going in the opposite direction to where you want to go. I'd recommend dividing your web site up into separate nods for different sections of your site. It'll make backing up easier (ever had a power cut in the middle of a large backup?) and safer and make updating different parts of the site quicker and easier.

Markfmch,

I've never had a site get that big but it sounds like it's crying out to be a database driven site rather than a flat site. Maybe if you posted a URL one or two of the database guru's on here could advise a suitable route to take. But if you are going to stick with a flat site I'd strongly agree with Franko that you split the NOD file into logical sections and manage each smaller section as required.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!