Thread: Form Properties > Fields order

Default Form Properties > Fields order

I am hoping someone can help me here. Relatively simple issue. I have been using NOF for a number of years now and am finally getting the chance in my web design to create a form which is written to a CSV file for storage. I managed to set everything up correctly and the form submission is sent as an email and written to the CSV as requested. However, my customer has asked that new fields be added to the form, which I did. When I ran a quick test I found that the order that the fields are created is the order in which they are written to the email and the CSV file. Does anyone know an easy way to reorder these in the Form Properties so that I don't have to recreate the entire form? It isn't a complicated form but certainly not preferred. See the attached image for further information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FormLayout..jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	293  

Quote Originally Posted by loudmacleod View Post
    I am hoping someone can help me here. Relatively simple issue. I have been using NOF for a number of years now and am finally getting the chance in my web design to create a form which is written to a CSV file for storage. I managed to set everything up correctly and the form submission is sent as an email and written to the CSV as requested. However, my customer has asked that new fields be added to the form, which I did. When I ran a quick test I found that the order that the fields are created is the order in which they are written to the email and the CSV file. Does anyone know an easy way to reorder these in the Form Properties so that I don't have to recreate the entire form? It isn't a complicated form but certainly not preferred. See the attached image for further information.
    The order in which the fields are created is the order in which they will be presented.

You can change the order of the fields in the forms handler component on the "field" tab. Highlight the field and use the up and down buttons at the bottom of the list to move the field up or down in the display order. http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4025
    Last edited by gotFusion; 07-09-2010 at 01:51 PM.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Mike - thank you for the information. I see now what I did incorrectly. I created a form layout without the Form Handler component enabled. Is there a way to convert/import the existing form layout I created into the Form Handler?

Mike - thank you for the information. I see now what I did incorrectly. I created a form layout without the Form Handler component enabled. Is there a way to convert/import the existing form layout I created into the Form Handler?
    What are you using to process the form (go over what you used to create the form and how you are processing it)? I need to know what you have done before I can point you to something different.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Thank you for your patience - as I mentioned, this is the first form I ever created.

I created a page to contain the form, added the form layout by selecting the Form Area button and then when the Form Tools popped up, I simply inserted the form boxes I wanted. I then inserted text boxes to label the form boxes. The submit button sends all the form data to me in an email and also is sent to a CSV on the server. I also have a separate non-navigate page with the Form Manager component on it which defines the processing.

Thank you for your patience - as I mentioned, this is the first form I ever created.

I created a page to contain the form, added the form layout by selecting the Form Area button and then when the Form Tools popped up, I simply inserted the form boxes I wanted. I then inserted text boxes to label the form boxes. The submit button sends all the form data to me in an email and also is sent to a CSV on the server. I also have a separate non-navigate page with the Form Manager component on it which defines the processing.
    No problem-o..... That is what this user to user forum is for.....

Rather than try to save a few minutes you should create a new page and use the forms handler component to build the form in it. In the long run, creating a clean form component is going to be far less aggravation than trying to save what you have already done.

Once you have the new formshandler page up and running you can delete your existing form and processing page and rename the new "clean" one and be on your way

My tutorial only covers the form handler and not the creation of a flat file as 99% of the users do not need/want a file created. http://www.gotfusion.com/tutorials/tut.cfm?itemID=4024

There is another tutorial that covers the formshandler and flat file creation but after looking for several minutes I can't find a link to it (google or on the forums)... Maybe someone else will post it if you get stuck using my tutorial. Running the database wizard is not that complex as it is just filling in the blanks

++++ Edit ++++

Found the tutorial http://www.learnnof.com/PHPform2.swf
    Last edited by gotFusion; 07-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks for your input. I would agree. I will try this later today and look at the two links you found for me.

Brian