Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: virtual tour

Franko,

So you are using an inline frame?
    How do you get the inline frame to expand to the full height of your gallery? (<- This is a little unrelated, but I'm curious... )

One possiblity is to make your inline frame smaller, which results in the slightly unsightly scroll bar, but will keep your expanded image centered. See my experimental gallery here (Apologies for the look of this -- it's just for trying things out. I'm the guitar player with the red bow tie, BTW -circa 1986.)

Note how when you have an image expanded, if you drag the scroll bar, the image follows. I emailed VLB support about this, and they said that the image will center itself in the browser window, or the I-Frame. Thomas' examples confirm this. The embedded images will follow you all the way down the page. The I-Frame version is limited by the I-Frame. (They actually recommended against using I-Frames for this reason.)

So, actually embedding the gallery would be your other solution, but that means editing your page each time you update the gallery. This is the part that bugs me about VLB.
    (I asked support about this, too -- see my next post about this.)

Apologies to Mark - this thread is officially hijacked.

-RayC

As I mentioned previously, I emailed support at Visual Lightbox, as I'd like to determine the limitations and work-arounds for the program. I am seriously on the brink of picking up the Business Edition for a client site.

I suggested to them that if the program generated TWO files, one containg the <HEAD> section, and the other with the <BODY> section, the gallery could be embedded by using two INCLUDE statements.

In the <HEAD> section of your page, you would have something like:

PHP Code:
    <?php include("gallery1/VLB-Head.php"); ?>
    And in the <BODY> section, you would have:

PHP Code:
    <?php include("gallery1/VLB-Body.php"); ?>
    That way, when you update the gallery, you don't have to manually edit the code on the page, and, as with Franko, you could easily manage multiple galleries simply by publishing them to a different folder.

Their response was to point me to the area where the templates used by the program are stored, suggesting they could be edited to accomplish this. The template consists of an .HTML file and an .XML file.

I have to admit, I'm not skilled enough to figure out if it's possible to modify the template to have it generate these two files, or even if this would work at all.

If you've got VisualLightbox, the templates are in the following location:
    C:\Program Files\VisualLightBox\imagelist\Mac\index.html

There's one for each gallery style, in the appropriate sub-folder under \imagelist\
    I.E.
    • Mac (with titles)
    • No Frame
    • Polaroid
    • etc.

Is there anyone out there who's up to the challenge, for the greater good of our little community, to look into this?

-RayC

Senior Member Thomas Frei-Herrmann's Avatar

... thanks Ray, this looks interesting Attachment 233
    Tommy

Administrator at the German NOF-Forum

NOF-Tutorials.com | German NOF-Forum | Overview of my tutorials | Facebook

Is there anyone out there who's up to the challenge, for the greater good of our little community, to look into this?
    Hey Ray, I certainly will, but let me get my spectacles first....

Good work, thanks

How do you get the inline frame to expand to the full height of your gallery? (<- This is a little unrelated, but I'm curious... )
    Simply by changing the size of the iframe manually and checking it in Preview

here is an example of some "Visual Lightbox" versions including "how to do it with NOF" on my German help site.
    Thanks for that, Tommy. Google translation is a little, er, strange but intelligible However, it doesn't solve my problem of having multiple galleries with the same directory names while using the Publish By Asset publishing structure.

Right now we're working on a video for a client, but when I get a chance I'll copy the site and republish by site structure rather than by asset and see if that allows me to embed VLB in each page. Logically it should, but I'm used to running into problems I haven't forseen simply because I like to try things before I think them through

In the meantime I may just have to go with smaller iframes.

Morning Frank,

without reading that whole thread now, maybe this is helpful for you.

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n...ur.html#ordner

You can create new folders in the "publish area" of NOF and copy your already published page from the "html" folder to that new folder. From now on NOF will always publish changes on that page into that new folder regardless to the publish structure you are using.
    Tommy

Thanks Tommy. Ok, so let me see... My gallery pages, 4 of them - food, places, people and products - are currently in the /html folder as individual html pages. I have created folders for each of the VLB galleries outside of NoF but have to bring them in via an Iframe. Now if I create folders for each of the galleries within the NoF site structure I don't have to bring them in via an Iframe, correct? Then how do I place them on the page? Just with a ctrl-T and place the link to the gallery in the text box?

The trouble with using an application for a long time is that you get used to certain ways of doing things and when the application develops new functionality, you still go on doing things in the old way. It's that way for me with Photoshop, too.

Or maybe it's just harder to teach new tricks to an old dog!

Hey, Franko.

Must be morning in OZ.

This is from the Visual Lightbox site:

Part 7 - Add Visual LightBox inside your own page.

Visual LightBox generates a special code. You can paste it in any place on your page where you want to add image gallery.

* Export your LightBox gallery using Visual LightBox app in any test folder on a local drive.
    * Open the generated index.html file in any text editor.
    * Copy all code for Visual LightBox from the HEAD and BODY tags and paste it on your page in the HEAD tag and in the place where you want to have a gallery (inside the BODY tag).

<head>
    <!-- Start Visual LightBox.com HEAD section -->
    <!-- End Visual LightBox.com HEAD section -->
    ... </head>
    <body>
    <!-- Start Visual LightBox.com BODY section -->
    <!-- End Visual LightBox.com BODY section -->
    ...</body>
    So you'd need to use the "HTML" button in properties for the page, or the [CODE] tab at the bottom to insert the HEAD section.

Then put a text box on the page where you want the gallery, and use CTR-T to insert the BODY section.

How nice it would be if they generated TWO files: one with the HEAD section and one for the BODY section. Then you could use an INCLUDE on your page and you wouldn't have to edit your page each time you update the gallery -- the built in FTP would be all you need.

Any luck Barbara?

-RayC

Hi Franko,

I will be on vacation from tomorrow on, so I can't really help anymore, but look at my "Visual Lightbox" pages and you will see what Ray just described.

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/n...rsion-3_1.html

Unfortunately it is not quite as easy.

You must have NOF 11 for a direct installation in NOF (otherwise you must use an iframe and link to the finished gallery) because the latest version of "Visual Lightbox" requires "Semantic XHTML" which you must select in your layout options of your page. Click on your layout and choose XHTML as your HTML output.

The problem is that NOF has problems with it's javascript file

rollover.js

in connection with this XHTML. The navigation bar is not rolling over, nor it will swing out correctly in the Firefox browser - this is a bug of NOF in connection with XHTML and must be fixed.

You must either tick the rollover option off or you may solve this problem as you can see at the bottom of my linked page above.

I have used another (extra) "layout area" and used for this area (and only for this) the "Static Layout" ("absolute" layout - I do not know how the correct English indication is, because I have the German NOF Version and my English is not that good).

Now I have moved my navigation bar on top of this extra (absolute) layout area and I have reduced then this layout area to the size of my navigation bar. This way XHTML is working with my rollover navigation bar too.

If you need to center your page in XHTML you must tick off that option in your "layout attribute window" and use instead this DIV container below.

> click on your layout > button HTML > insert this code "begin of main text area"

<div align="center">

and finish it "end of main text area" with

</div>

this way you center your page the same way but this is working together with XHTML.

@Ray,

if you do this with "include" you must set your page to PHP first (do not forget this)

http://www.tommyherrmanndesign.com/nof/html/php-include.php

and the code must be something like this (this would find this included page in the same directory)

Code:
    <?php include("./visuallightboxbody.php"); ?>
    ... all small type, no hyphen, no spaces
    Last edited by Thomas Frei-Herrmann; 06-26-2010 at 06:03 AM.
    Tommy

Must be morning in OZ.

This is from the Visual Lightbox site:

Part 7 - Add Visual LightBox inside your own page.

Visual LightBox generates a special code. You can paste it in any place on your page where you want to add image gallery.

* Export your LightBox gallery using Visual LightBox app in any test folder on a local drive.
    * Open the generated index.html file in any text editor.
    * Copy all code for Visual LightBox from the HEAD and BODY tags and paste it on your page in the HEAD tag and in the place where you want to have a gallery (inside the BODY tag).

<head>
    <!-- Start Visual LightBox.com HEAD section -->
    <!-- End Visual LightBox.com HEAD section -->
    ... </head>
    <body>
    <!-- Start Visual LightBox.com BODY section -->
    <!-- End Visual LightBox.com BODY section -->
    ...</body>
    So you'd need to use the "HTML" button in properties for the page, or the [CODE] tab at the bottom to insert the HEAD section.
    Yes but...

Let's walk through it just in case I'm missing something.
    In Site View we create 2 pages to hold galleries. We call these gallery1 and gallerly2. These will be published as gallery1.html and gallery2.html and will reside within the /html folder.

In VLB we create 2 galleries which we name gallery1 and gallery2. Because VLB uses relative paths, the path to these images will be /data/images/image-name.jpg, correct? The problem is we can't do this because the webserver wouldn't know which /data/images/image-name.jpg to server into gallery1 or gallery2 as the paths are identical.

Now if I create a new folder in Publish View called gallery1 and I copy the VLB data and engine directories for gallery1 into it (how does NoF know I've done this?). The path to these images in the code I copy from VLB will be /data/images/image-name.jpg but in order for the webserver to serve them the link in www.website.com/html/gallery1.html should be ../gallery1/data/images/image-name.jpg and not /data/images/image-name.jpg. Which means I have to manually edit the paths which is what I'm using VLB to get away from.

Now whether or not I create those gallery folders in Publish View in NoF or on the webserver directly really does not matter. The path difference is still the same.

Or am I wrong and just can't see the wood for the trees?
    Last edited by franko; 06-26-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Tommy posted while I was still composing :)