Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Report - Fusion does not exit cleanly

Exclamation Bug Report - Fusion does not exit cleanly

Here's a nice one for my 100th post.

Our esteemed colleague, Paul (AKA Adendum), and I have been putting our heads together to figure out why Fusion does not exit cleanly on our systems, leaving a process (or two or three) lingering in the system after exit, as can be seen by this screen shot of the Task Manager:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taskman4..JPG 
Views:	691 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	248

We have come to the conclusion that it is related to drivers for Wacom tablets. For anyone using a tablet, it may be helpful to try the following, as outlined by Paul:

1. After a boot-up to a clean system run NOF. Don't open a NOD and just quit NOF. Task Manager is clean.
    2. Run NOF again, or after a re-boot, open a NOD but don't open a page in the NOD. Quit NOF and Task Manager is clean.
    3. Run NOF again, or after a re-boot, open a NOD and open a page in the NOD. Quit NOF and Task Manager is still has Fusion.exe running.

NB: To check the Task Manager, press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open the task manager. Click on the "Processes" tab to see if you can see "Fusion". You can also use CTRL-ALT-DEL, then select "Start Task Manager" from the list.

Hopefully now this has been narrowed down, our friends at NetObjects can concoct a remedy for either the next update to NOF11 or in NOF12. (Surely one or the other is due soon. )

-RayC

I hate to break your theory, but I have just tried what you said and I have a Wacom Tablet and it's drivers on my computer and if I do your step 3. fusion.exe still quits properly and removes itself from Processes. I run Win XP SP3 on this PC, so maybe it's a combination of particular drivers/operating systems, but not specific across the board. This might be one of those things with AV programs again. Did you also try testing and starting up in Safe Mode and/or disabling the AV from checking fusion.exe? If you're on Vista (that's an issue in it's own right) or Windows 7, it might just be an issue that will only be fixed with a new version of NOF of course as it's a programming/OS issue.

Andrew,

That's a bummer!!! But to be fair it doesn't totally surprise me. I don't always get Fusion.exe stuck as a process when I quit but I would estimate that it happens about 95% of the time.

Also I am not totally convinced by Ray's and my experiments that it is actually the Wacom drivers that are the problem. Ray is using a Bamboo tablet and I am using an Intuos tablet but we are both using Vista (ultimate and home premium respectively).

Ray's test was to uninstall his tablet and unplug it whereas my test was to stop the processes listed as "PC Tablet Input Services" from running. In Ray's test he had no tablet running and therefore no Windows tablet services, in my test I still had the Wacom tablet operational and all its drivers running - albeit not 100% functionality due to the missing Windows processes.

So I am of the opinion it has something to do with wisptis.exe and/or tabtip.exe and/or tabtip32.exe.

If you have a Vista system to hand, and have the time, maybe you could install your tablet on that and see if that makes a difference to the exit process of NOF???
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

Aw fudge!.

Although I think this is the catalyst, since removing the tablet drivers stops the problem.

I would appreciate any others with a tablet do the test and report what happens and what OS you're on. Both Paul and I are on Vista, so that may be the other contributing factor.

I think we're on the right track, though. Hopefully this can provide some direction to the powers that be as to where to look.

Andrew, if you could take a snapshot of your task manager and send it to me via PM, I'd appreciate it. I'm interested to see if there are any tablet-related processes that are different on XP.

-RayC

Default Tablet users request

As an adjunct to this thread I'd like to find out who else uses a tablet with Fusion and with what OS, just to see if there are other similarities/differences:

RayC - Wacom Bamboo + Vista Ultimate 32bit
    Adendum - Wacom Intuos + Vista Home Premium 64bit
    Technology Ideas - Wacom ????? + XP SP3
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Technology Ideas View Post
    .... This might be one of those things with AV programs again. Did you also try testing and starting up in Safe Mode and/or disabling the AV from checking fusion.exe? If you're on Vista (that's an issue in it's own right) or Windows 7, it might just be an issue that will only be fixed with a new version of NOF of course as it's a programming/OS issue.
    Yes I have done this before. And just tried again. I am 100% convinced it's not an AV issue and is tablet related or maybe tablet+Vista related.

Windows XP Pro SP3 running on AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor. Fusion.exe exits cleanly. Wacom Intuos (fairly old).

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Windows XP Pro SP3 running on AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor. Fusion.exe exits cleanly. Wacom Intuos (fairly old).
    Franko,

Thanks - what Intuos tablet? I'm Intuos 3. (Not good to hear but you're XP, we're Vista)
    Last edited by Adendum; 06-29-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Added info

I too have the Wacom Intuos3. I don't have Vista to test on for you though, Vista was always a little funky thuogh. Windows 7 seems so far to be better.

Smile RESOLVED (really!!) : Vista tablet users rejoice!!

Ray and I appreciate all the comment and feedback as it has helped narrow down what the problem was. Yes, was, past tense!

To qualify for the 'problem' you need two things; your OS has to be Vista and you have to be a tablet user.

To fix the 'problem' you need to make one small but evidently major change to your system settings. From within Control Panel you have to select Programs and Features, click "Turn Windows features on or off" and finally uncheck "Tablet PC Optional Components".

After a re-boot tabtip.exe and/or tabtip32.exe no longer run - and the Fusion problem (and maybe others??) no longer occurs.

The only downside I have discovered is that the handy Snipping Tool also will not run. Ray found an awesome little replacement for that called Greenshot and it does a whole load more than Snipping Tool. There maybe other casualties in this change but so far I can't see anything else I'm missing except Sticky Notes, which I never used anyway.

HAPPY BUNNY SIGNING OFF ON THIS ONE FOR EVER!!!!!