Thread: Inline Frames acting strangely

Default Inline Frames acting strangely

I'm testing this website on http://www.webandgraphicdesign-isabelsmith.com/ficarra/ and the inline frames are going cuckoo.

I'm testing on Explore, Chrome, and Firefox and each browser is acting totally weird.

I looked for outside code for I-frames, but that doesn't work either.

I'm trying to put 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag, so that's why I need them.

Isabel,

The site looks OK from here in FF. Have you fixed it?

If not maybe you should consider using php includes rather than iFrames. I recently gave a long response on the same problem in this forum.
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

I hadn't looked in Firefox, just Chrome and Explorer.

Most of my customers still use Explorer.

Wheres the link to the php -- I don't care what I use as long as its browser compatible, and, I can figure it out (I'm not a programmer -- so it has to be a almost fill in the blanks kind of a thing)

Thanks

John I found something you wrote to Chris and I have copied below my message, but I am leary of it because I don't know PHP at all.

Changing the publish method to .php sounds totally scary to me as I would like to be able to update this website again using NetObjects and the last time (many years ago) a programmer changed my site to .php I couldn't make even the simplest updates from the program -- I had to make them from the host server!
    So, if I change the publishing method, will I still be able to use NOF to make updates?

This site has many iFrames -- Its a home portfolio flash movie on one side of the page with a testimony on the other side. The testimony is in the iFrame.
    So my question is:
    <?php include 'html/content-index.php'; ?> go on the index page only?
    and then
    <?php include 'content-YYYYY.php'; ?>
    go on every other page.

I know how to make a text block and put in html code.

Questions:
    Wow. Reading on this all sounds way off the charts for my comprehension level. Something like building the site in NOF and then translating it into something else.

1) Are the question marks part of the code or places where I should put something. If I need to put something there, what is it?

2) Am I to upload all my testimonies to the server in an html format?

3) Do I reference the uploaded testimonies as to the http:// URL address where they are on my server and then where you indicate 'html/content-index.php'
    I should type something like:
    'http:http://www.nameofwebsite.com/nameoft...geitgoeson.php'

4) What is a Cushy reference?

Oh this sounds way too rocket science heavy for me pointy brain cells, or am I over complicating it?

Here's the code I copied from your response to Chris:

Chris,

It's a multi-step process.

1. Suggest your first rename your Local Publish folder to another name, such as

Previous_DDMMYY. And create a template of the current site as this is the best

backup process.

2. In Fusion change the publish method to .PHP. Go to PUBLISH>Publish

Settings>Advanced and change the File EXTENSION to .PHP - if it's not in the

list type in .PHP

I use the example of the index page but repeat the following for every page

that has an iFrame call:-

3. Open index.php and replace the iFrame with a text box, CTRL+T, enter
    Code:
    <?php include 'html/content-index.php'; ?>
    and for all other pages use:-
    Code:
    <?php include 'content-YYYYY.php'; ?>
    because of the folder structure.

4. Re-size the page accordingly as you will no longer need a page 2000 px long.

5. Rename the page that WAS the iFrame feeding your index page and call it

content-index (or whatever naming conventions you prefer).

6. Repeat for all iFrame pages, local publish.

You wont be able to view the pages locally unless you install and set up a

local server like XAMPP, but you are probably good to go, so upload the new set

of PHP pages to the sever. Best to clean up the server first and move the old

HTML pages to a folder to match your recently renamed local folder e.g.

Previous_DDMMYY.

7. When you are happy with the result. Change all your Cushy references to the

new .php pages.

Personally I like to clean up the 'content-xxxx.php' pages manually to remove

the unwanted html that Fusion generates. But the pages will still work if left

alone but it's cleaner, tidier, faster, if you strip out the unwanted markup

(one of the reasons I and others have requested a selectable publish format to

generate plain text pages). In theory you wont be editing these pages again in

Fusion so a manual effort is OK. I use ConTEXT a freeware editor (ConText

Download).

Good luck. Once you get to grips with this method you'll find lots of other

ways to benefit from the php include!

Having read a ton more stuff on the internet and this php solution, I decided to scratch my own head some more and tried out something which turned out to work.
    http://www.webandgraphicdesign-isabe...siondunes.html

What I did was make a sub page for each portfolio page of a home and I created its own master border thing. Its a narrow page where I type the testimonies in the typeface I want and all that.

Then I go back to the portfolio home page and use the iFrame gizmo and when it asks for the document, I simply tell it to go to the NOF html page I set up special for the iFrame.

Now I have them all in a tidy place so I can update them quickly without a headache.

Thanks to this forum, I get to work things out and it pushes me to think of more ideas than I can on my own. It really relieves my frustration having the ability to bounce these ideas off from you all who answer the forums. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabel Smith View Post
    John ....
    Errr, it's Paul

..... but I am leary of it because I don't know PHP at all.
    Me nether really. I'm learning a bit each day but I am in no way a PHP developer. I'm a Fusion developer through and through.

Changing the publish method to .php sounds totally scary to me .......So, if I change the publishing method, will I still be able to use NOF to make updates?
    As it did to me when I first did it. But don't be. You will be able to edit as normal in Fusion because Fusion is a code generator. So every time you publish your Fusion pages it will simply create .PHP pages rather than HTML pages.

The only downside is you wont be able to view those PHP pages locally (unless you install XAMPP or similar). But an upload to the server solves that!
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Jane,

That'll work too! The php include is another way of calling in a page like the iFrame does. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages...but that's a whole other thread I'm sure!