Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovery file?

And there is a thread here with a link that provides a bit of info on Re-Optimize.

But I suppose you haven't read that either.
    Ray Cambpell
    Sounds In Sync
    Linked in

Yes, I know Oxford is in the opposite direction. However, we'll be on a self drive holiday, will be in the country for about 10 weeks.

I did see that answer above. What I see is a new Recovery files is created after I run Re-Optimize. In experimenting with it the Recovery file must be renamed and moved in order for it to load the .NOD

Again, noting in the documentation that explains how to use the files in the Recovery sub-dir.

Discovery.......

Quote Originally Posted by RayC View Post
    And there is a thread here with a link that provides a bit of info on Re-Optimize.

But I suppose you haven't read that either.
    Ray, that was a thread I started when I realized that I screwed my .NOD into the ground and could not Export to a Template, or publish without a page full of errors.

Which is another shortfall in NOF. There doesn't seem to be a way to save the error log other than copy to the clipboard and paste into MS Word.

Again, all of this was my fault, but the documentation didn't really help.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by NOF-Newbie View Post
    Yes, I know Oxford is in the opposite direction. However, we'll be on a self drive holiday, will be in the country for about 10 weeks.
    Cool, so do give me a call, we can have a beer or a coffee and discuss the various pros and cons of NoF.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FugleyKiwi View Post
    Cool, so do give me a call, we can have a beer or a coffee and discuss the various pros and cons of NoF.
    Speights The Southern Man's drink......

So, the past few days have been very productive.

Upon executing the Re-Optimize command strange things can happen. If your .NOD is really hosed - at the termination of Re-Optimize your original .NOD file might be neutered, i.e. made useless.

Now, what I have come to learn is this: in the Recovery sub-dir is a .Nod that was created by the Re-Optimize command. This new .Nod seems to be a reasonable representation of the original .Nod BUT most all of the problems are repaired.

So, I found one of these Recovery .Nod files from several months ago (when I thought the Re-Optimize deleted my site) and moved it to my User Site sub-dir and loaded this newly discovered .NOD.

Lo and behold it loaded, I could Re-Optimize, I could Export it to a Template, error free- I things I could never do before.

This new .Nod is stable, although some of the Links are broken.

What I also discovered is NOF puts stuff all over the hard drive in unusual sub directories. No where did I find references to these newly created sub-directories.

Not even Microsoft is so arrogant as to not give the user the option to configure paths, NOF seems to take control of paths and the user is left to "discover" them.

However, this is progress, I wish I discovered this hidden .NOD file months ago, I would have saved hundreds of hours of labor.

If only this was documented someplace in the crappy NOF documentation.

If only there was someplace that described all the NOF generated paths.

If only the Re-Optimize command was explained someplace.

If only the Recovery file purpose and location were explained someplace.

So, I found one of these Recovery .Nod files from several months ago (when I thought the Re-Optimize deleted my site) and moved it to my User Site sub-dir and loaded this newly discovered .NOD.
    However, this is progress, I wish I discovered this hidden .NOD file months ago, I would have saved hundreds of hours of labor.
    Odd, my recovery folder was always in the user site. Where did you initially find it? As well, the recovery file isn't mean't to do anything other than 'recover' from a bad shut down. It activates on it's own and explains itself as I mentioned earlier. If a different glitch happens, and as your attepting to do, a manual rescue, rename your auto-save or backup files (they're not hidden).
    Ref: http://netobjects.com/en/nof/12/00/docs/webhelp/ Go to Search "backups";
    Home > Creating and Managing Sites > Creating and Managing Sites > Backup and Autosave Settings

If only there was someplace that described all the NOF generated paths.
    When I click on certain actions, the proper path opens up. If I need to access a rare secret nugget, I find NOF no different than my Adobe or Corel Products as their pathing placements and information. Otherwise, for a given site all files I need are right under the User Site's named folder, nicely orgainzed.

If only the Re-Optimize command was explained someplace.
    Ref: http://netobjects.com/en/nof/12/00/docs/webhelp/
    Home > Creating and Managing Sites > Creating and Managing Sites > Working with Site Files
    A simple explaination that doesn't need to go further, it just does as it says. Knowing that you have to re-optimize before making a template is explained automatically for newb's as well. Instead of having to go look it up in documentation, NOF just pops up a simple explaination in a dialogue box when you first click on export. Easy.

If only the Recovery file purpose and location were explained someplace.
    As mentioned, the recovery file isn't mean't to do anything other than 'recover' from a bad shut down (power outage, dog yanks cord out of wall, etc.). It activates on it's own and explains itself then. The explaination is not complicated as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. There is no other explaination needed.

What's happened is you made a discovery in using it like a back-up or auto-save file, which does not require documentation since this is an incorrect use of the file.
    Last edited by Beach Ape; 04-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.