Thread: Responsive design

Default Responsive design

I notice Xara has an implementation of responsive design in their latest version Web Designer 10
    http://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/
    Coffeecup Software have already released their Responsive Layout Maker, and of course Wordpress/Joomla etc. all have responsive capabilities.

Anyone with inside knowledge to indicate NOF is working on anything similar?

No inside knowledge but I'm sure they are. I have and use Coffee cup RLM but this is great for doing layouts and creating wireframes but you still have to add the html/css by hand. It's not a wysiwyg code generator. I haven't looked at Xara but I do have Artisteer which also does responsive output. However I don't use it anymore because it doesn't give me the ability to do custom design the way NoF/manual coding does. Same comment for wordpress/joomla. Ppl pay me for my design skills, not my ability to modify and existing template for them.

Coffeecup is also working on a Responsive Website Creator which they hope they will have out by the end of the (northern hemisphere) spring. however, the issues are quite daunting so I doubt they'll make their deadline.

Xara has now integrated supersites into v10. They seem to be moving further ahead of their competitors. Netobjects is dropping back too far, IMHO, and will have difficulty making up the gap. I just really hope there's a lot of development work other than bug fixes occupying the developers at Netobjects. I've invested nearly 20 years into learning how NoF works but I really don't know how much longer I can wait for it to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
    Xara has now integrated supersites into v10. They seem to be moving further ahead of their competitors. Netobjects is dropping back too far, IMHO, and will have difficulty making up the gap. I just really hope there's a lot of development work other than bug fixes occupying the developers at Netobjects. I've invested nearly 20 years into learning how NoF works but I really don't know how much longer I can wait for it to catch up.
    Me too - I've been more or less 100% NOF since version 4, and upgraded to 13 expecting greater things but was disappointed.

I still have quite a few large sites in NOF which would take some effort to move, but as you know I've already swapped several to Wordpress. Any major updates on the remaining NOF sites will probably go the same way, especially as there are several responsive design platforms appearing for WP.

It's been a year since the release of NOF 13 and they've done a super job being one of the first with HTML5 and CSS. (NOF has come a long way from the pits, and profits going to the previous owners, then releasing 13.) I would very much like to see another company release a RWD program besides the two already and another promised. (Coffee Cup has given notice about their RWD program and has stated it could be a year or two before release.) If NOF could even say they're working on a RWD program (some light at the end of the tunnel) it would certainly help keep people from jumping ship and others like myself checking back in.

Last June I sent a private email to the staff about RWD and their reply was:

"Hello Donald,
    We greatly appreciate the feedback. With the proliferation of mobile devices we definitely want to embrace responsive web design (RWD). Because Fusion's workspace has historically been based on a fixed dimension we have a long road ahead, but keep an eye on the software as we roll out new features to better support RWD. As a companion product to Fusion we've released the online based mosaic.netobjects.com for building mobile specific sites that can integrate seamlessly with desktop based Fusion sites.

Best regards,
    Mike"

Alright, it's been a year. Show us what you've got TEAM NOF!

As Mr. franko stated: "I just really hope there's a lot of development work other than bug fixes occupying the developers at Netobjects."

Ditto on that! - Donald
    Last edited by gl33; 05-30-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Netobjects has never shown their hand when it comes to development, and having worked for two major IT corporations (IBM and 3Com) this tends to be the norm. Witness 2013 - no word of it even being in development until it was released. It wasn't even shown to the Beta test community. I have absolutely no doubt NoF is working to develop RWD and supersites into the next major release but they've been bogged down with correcting a series of bugs with 2013.

Like Ken, I use wordpress but only when the client requires a blog/CMS. For small responsive sites I use Coffee Cups Responsive Layout Maker combined with their HTML editor but I simply don't have the time to create larger sites this way. I have always been loyal to Netobjects Fusion, even after it looked like the company would fold before WSP bought it. I think it's in good hands now and I'd much prefer to stay with it and, as I now mainly only do pro-bono sites it's not such a major issue for me. But - I can't wait forever and I need to be able to make responsive sites quickly and easily, without having to hand code them. So I may have to for out the $100 for Xara if neither NO nor CC bring out a competing program at a reasonable upgrade price very soon.
    Last edited by franko; 05-31-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Holy Cow Batman! After reading your post the memories flooded back in. Just one short year ago people were all but going insane for a new release. Wondering if anyone was in the office or even still in business. And if the forum was on autopilot. Then (ka-pow, that was one hard hit Robin!) NOF 2013 shows up. Followed by a furry of excitement, posts and broncobilly lighting his flame thrower. That would be great to see again with a release and or news of a RWD program on the truck. Just thought NOF (the NO means no?) might follow CCs lead and give us a heads-up. One can ask, but as you stated history, it might be better to pray.

(To franko's comment below: Yes Sir!)
    Last edited by gl33; 06-01-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Smile

It's always better to pray. About everything