Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CMS for NOF users - an idea?

Default CMS for NOF users - an idea?

Would it be feasible for NetObjects to produce a browser based CMS facility for its user base that could be customised/branded for individual users? Something similar to that offered by CushyCMS, SurrealCMS.

That would leave NOF to do what it does best and a web based CMS that we can customise for each of our clients. Perfect!
    Paul - Aditerum Ltd and AllSortsOfStuff Ltd
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM
    Wouldn't it be great if there was only a single browser to worry about!!!

I have created database driven web sites using PHP, ASP and ColdFusion going back to Fusion 4.

The latest version of Fusion makes this very simple compared to the older versions.

The problem with putting something like this within the product is that each application of a cms/dynamic site is specialized and no two will be the same. Add to that 3 main stream dynamic programing languages and you are talking about a dedicated version of the Fusion product which is geared 100% to this function.

With all of the other "open source" CMS products out there (wordpress, joomla, phpnuke, durpal, ad nauseam) it would be a company bankrupting proposition trying to sell a commercial product with all of the freebies available now.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL
    FREE NetObjects Fusion Support & training comes with all web hosting accounts
    NetObjects Fusion Web Hosting: http://www.gotHosting.biz

Mike,

You entirely missed my intent....

I am proposing that NetObjects offers a web based product similar to Cushy or Surreal. Not something bundled in with NOF12 and not a stand alone application. NetObjects produces a NOF friendly web solution on their servers that we can use in the same way as we can currently use Cushy, Surreal etc. We continue to develop in NOF11 or whatever, we add a class attribute to the layout areas we want the client to be able to edit e.g. <div class="nofcms">, upload our files to our own servers then login to the NOFCMS server, add the site, add editors and allow access to the pages we want the client to update.

Why? Well, (a) because I am sure a NOFCMS system will be NOF friendly, (b) no doubt future releases of NOF will make it even easier to add class statements to elements on the page, (c) it will retain the interest of the current NOF user base, (d) like the Cushy and Surreal models they could offer a FREE version (branded) and a PAID version that allows us to customise what the client sees and (e) it wouldn't require coding within NOF as it would be on their servers.

I'd be prepared to pay for something like that if reasonable. I'm using Cushy for most of my CMS sites now and the clients absolutely love it, as it's soooooo simple.

As for ColdFusion, we've had this discussion before....not everyone can get it on their host servers - I can't unless I change hosts...and I really can't face that kind of upheaval.

As I continue to experiment and learn more using applications like 4D Site Designer and, more recently, Joomla!, I realise just how 'lacking' NOF is in many areas - but I still like the product, and something as 'simple' as this could make the difference - at least to me.
    NOF11 (in Admin mode!); Vista Premium 64bit; AMD Phenom IIx4 945 Processor 3.00Ghz; 8.0Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Adendum View Post
    Mike,

You entirely missed my intent....

I am proposing that NetObjects offers a web based product similar to Cushy or Surreal. Not something bundled in with NOF12 and not a stand alone application. NetObjects produces a NOF friendly web solution
    This has been done several times going back 10 years with edit my site online and with fusedocs. Both were exactly what you describe and I believe one of them is still available.

http://www.editmysiteonline.com/e/ (this was Fusion specific at one time, not sure now as I don't know if Daniel is still involved)

As for ColdFusion, we've had this discussion before....not everyone can get it on their host servers - I can't unless I change hosts...and I really can't face that kind of upheaval.
    ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, dotNET.... one of these options "should" be provided with even the most basic hosting packages. It does not matter which language you decide to learn. I coded with PHP for years before I found ColdFusion. After two weeks I was more proficient with CF then I was after 3 years using PHP.

I try to steer people to ColdFusion as it is just so simple to learn and use it is ridiculous. One or two days and you have learned enough to do 80% of any dynamic tasks yet it is extremely powerful once you absorb the remaining 10%.
    NetObjects Fusion Cloud Linux enabled Web Hosting, support + training starts at $14.95
    NetObjects Fusion web Hosting and support + ASP + PHP + ColdFusion + MySQL + MS SQL

Quote Originally Posted by gotFusion View Post
    Had a quick look but it's not quite what I was thinking. More along the lines of a simple landing page with a login and a simple page selector and dead simple edit facility.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for NetObjects to offer this kind of facility - especially if NOF12 includes a simple button that adds a class statement to any object we want the client to be able to edit.

ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, dotNET.... one of these options "should" be provided with even the most basic hosting packages. It does not matter which language you decide to learn. I coded with PHP for years before I found ColdFusion. After two weeks I was more proficient with CF then I was after 3 years using PHP.

I try to steer people to ColdFusion as it is just so simple to learn and use it is ridiculous. One or two days and you have learned enough to do 80% of any dynamic tasks yet it is extremely powerful once you absorb the remaining 10%.
    Your points are noted and CF is on my list to learn more about...but first I need to decide if 4D Site Design or Joomla! are going to be tools I want to use. So I'm learning those first and then I'll look at CF...

Can you recommend any CF tutorials or online demos?

Had a quick look but it's not quite what I was thinking. More along the lines of a simple landing page with a login and a simple page selector and dead simple edit facility.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for NetObjects to offer this kind of facility - especially if NOF12 includes a simple button that adds a class statement to any object we want the client to be able to edit.
    Edit my site online was developed for Fusion by DWH who was the originator of http://efuse.com/ Like I said it has been a long time since I played around with it (I may still have a complimentary subscription if I can find my log in details). My understanding (from my memory of the site) is that with the subscription/commercial product you can have as many pages as you wish with editable content where ever you wish it to be on the page.

Your points are noted and CF is on my list to learn more about...but first I need to decide if 4D Site Design or Joomla! are going to be tools I want to use. So I'm learning those first and then I'll look at CF...

Can you recommend any CF tutorials or online demos?
    As with any solution, you first need to identify the problem to be solved. Leaning any language is best done when you have a "real world" concept you need to implement. I have several CF tutorials and a full CF admin set up as a Fusion template that can be imported into any site project (all of this comes with my hosting). The admin setup can easily be expanded to do full CMS or membership permissions or what ever you wish. Some of the gotFusion web site is based on this (though greatly expanded).

I would suggest that you start with form to email processing as this is the simplest (and an issue that everyone struggles with). From there you should move into cookies and user authentication (another very basic "needs to be done" before anything else can work). Once you have user authentication worked out you are then past the user/admin stage and can secure your site administration. After that you can go with database save/edit/query and display. Move onto conditional processing (if/else/loop/while etc). After that you are basically done as you should be able to do everything once you get to this point.

Now this "plan/outline" is not ColdFusion centric. You should follow this learning pattern regardless of which dynamic language you decide to work with. The "ticket" is to start with something that is simple and easily achieved so that your confidence is built up and you have the basic understanding to move to more complex tasks

hi,
    maybe fusion content is what you are looking for?
    tinymce is used for editing the content - it´s easy to include in nof - just try it (and tell me if something is missing)
    http://fusion-content.de/

edit content: http://78.140.92.84:100/fusion-conte...ch-cms-nof.php (just choose a txt-file)
    edited content is shown here: http://78.140.92.84:100/fusion-conte...ch-cms-nof.php

sorry for my english - have fun - paby

....You should follow this learning pattern regardless of which dynamic language you decide to work with. The "ticket" is to start with something that is simple and easily achieved so that your confidence is built up and you have the basic understanding to move to more complex tasks
    Good advice. As and when I get to CF expect a call (or two) !!

Quote Originally Posted by paby View Post
    ...maybe fusion content is what you are looking for?
    Maybe! And I'm interested...a lot!!

tinymce is used for editing the content - it´s easy to include in nof - just try it (and tell me if something is missing)
    http://fusion-content.de/
    edit content: http://78.140.92.84:100/fusion-conte...ch-cms-nof.php (just choose a txt-file)
    edited content is shown here: http://78.140.92.84:100/fusion-conte...ch-cms-nof.php
    Do you have an English language version of this - I struggled to understand these pages - or what you are suggesting? Is this a component you have and are selling or something else?

..sorry for my english - have fun - paby
    Apology not required but a translated version of whatever it is you have would be welcome.

EDIT:
    Just remembered Google Language Tools:-

1st LINK
    New: Content Fusion 3 available

Fusion content has been completely revised. A new editor with extensive configuration options that you can customize and greatly simplified integration into NetObjects Fusion offers all NOF-users the ability to share content (text / images) completely independent of NOF edit. Fusion to content

* Perfect for small businesses in which employees are to perform various changes to the website regularly
    * Useful for web designers who want to give your customers the opportunity to update certain areas of your website yourself.
    * True search engine friendly content, thanks to PHP-Include-technology.
    * In December: free upgrade from version 2009 on Fusion Content 3

Announcement: NOF Store available from 01.01.2010

Nof-Shop is a small shop solution for pages that were created with NetObjects Fusion. The application integrates directly with a few pages into the existing NOF project. The entire layout is applied, so that the NOF shop fits seamlessly into your page. No Iframe - a new window. Back to the NOF-Shop

* Fast integration in NetObjects Fusion with only three files (Template-Import).
    Your NOF project remains slim
    * Simple Admin area with a clear product and order management

2nd Link
    usion Content: Test Area

In the three tabs we have set sample text for you. Each tab will be filled from a separate txt file.
    You can test and modify the sample text. The editor comes with three versions (all three versions are included in the delivery package)

Change the lyrics here with the Professional version
    Change the lyrics here with the private version
    Change the lyrics here with the mini version

Other link
    Now is tested (Professional Version)

Please select one text from the pulldown. The editor used here is the Professional version.
    The available buttons can be tailored to the needs of users.
    Superfluous buttons can be removed.

Here they can test the Private Version - Here you can test the mini version

Select and edit the text!

to check back for amendment
    Last edited by Adendum; 04-14-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

I will do my best to offer some english information tomorrow

information-link will be posted here

have fun - paby