Thread: ComboBoxes with Data Context not functioning in NOF 12

Default ComboBoxes with Data Context not functioning in NOF 12

The combo box described below works flawlessly in NOF 11 and is currently in production on my company’s corporate website.

This page when converted to NOF 12 refuses to work.

So I setup a debug test and determined the following:

I have an MS SQL database setup via a “Data Sources” connector and numerous Recordsets. All work and are used extensively throughout my site.

I set up a test page on which there is no custom code or scripts. Only the NOF interface and dialogs are used.

New Page with a single Layout Region which is set as a form.

Form has a Table of 2 rows and 6 columns.

1st row is set as a header with appropriate column titles as text..
    2nd is setup with a “Data source Context”.

The First 5 cells have “Forms Edit Fields” that populate from a RECORDEST. (pagination & ajax are off). These work fine.

The 6th cell contains a Combo Box.
    • If the combo box has manually entered elements in the “Forms Combo Box Properties” it works fine.
    • If the Combo Box has a data context:
    • In first data row the drop down is about 8 lines long but all lines are blank.
    • On subsequent rows the drop down contains only one line which is: “{FormsComboBox1(KeyCodes.KeyCodeNumber)}” This is a NOF generated string that represents the Combo Box’s ID followed by the RECORDSET name and the Field Name. Although this is correct for the query, it is not the data itself that is supposed to be here.
    • If the Combo box has a data context AND a dynamic condition the published page will only generate a PHP Error in the browser: “PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in W:\WebSites\TESTSITE\html\po_test.php on line 232”. I would assume this happens since the data context was unsuccessful to start with.

2. Any insight or help here would be great. Remember, it all worked in 11.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi

I'm quite new to this and having trouble with the Data Sources panel reload button. Are you using the Data Sources Panel and toolbar, or are you using one of the PHP,ASP,ASP.net, Coldfusion components for publishing your data?

Quote Originally Posted by orcic_ron View Post
    Hi

I'm quite new to this and having trouble with the Data Sources panel reload button. Are you using the Data Sources Panel and toolbar, or are you using one of the PHP,ASP,ASP.net, Coldfusion components for publishing your data?
    I'm afraid I've never used any of the database actions on the toolbar. I just use the data source/ recordsets (pane on the right side) to populate tables with a list of items for a catalog page. Some of these items (table rows) have different properties, like size or color that I select from a drop down combo box (in a cell on the same row) also populated by a datasource/recordset. Which is where version 12 gets messy as described previously.

Data from these pages are submited as forms and do not actually update the database. I only do read operations via the datasource/recordsets. I've have not had to delve to any write operations.

GOOD LUCK! I know very well how frustrating it can be, it's taken me many long hours to figure this much out. As I am sure you have discovered, the NOF documentation available regarding database functions is pretty much worthless. I learn more from follow this forum than any other resource.

Be sure to search the forum for your questions or start a new thread, there a lot of experienced folks out there that can (and will) help you.

Hi

Thanks for the support. Much needed.

Did you solve your problem?

I tried to replicate it and got it to fail like you did. The solution was trial and eror but here it is.

With the first row as a header and the second as a data context (just as you said) and with different recordsets for the row and the combo box, changing the flags on the data context row as follows:

1 - With pagination off and ajax off - first row combo has full list, the rest have code
    2 - with pagination on (max 10) and ajax off - same as 1 above
    3 - with pagination off and ajax on - table shows all rows equal in number to the recordset and the combo boxes start to populate but it's so slow that a user would get hacked off
    4 - with pagination on (max10) and ajax on - page displays and combo boxes are complete.

So, it would seem that you need the row data context ajax switched on. Also, for info, the combo box has enable data context on, but Dynamic condition off.

If you have already worked this out........

It's always good to learn:-)

Thanks ORCIC_RON.

I havn't work it out yet, but as long I I don;t have to change the existing combo boxes I have, or create new ones, I'm up and running.

Worst case scenario I would have to hard code the options list, but that's not the end of world.

I will give this another look-see the next time I have to get the sledge hammer out for this site.

Better late than never..

ORCIC_RON the settings you suggest worked. Thanks!